Facebook

Facebook
Facebook Me!

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sometimes You TRY to Record a CD and NO ONE Bothers to Show Up.


On September 27th me and 5 of OKC’s finest comics performed a show at UCO’s famed constitution hall.
The show was meant to be a culmination of my two years in stand up, and I would use the event to record and document that progress and eventually release it commercially for a small profit.
THAT ISN’T WHAT HAPPENED.
The SHOW happened, and by all accounts it was a fun show for the audience, and performers. But it wasn’t MY best show and I couldn’t consciously put out a product knowing that I had failed to produce (no matter HOW easy it would have been to do quick edits and make it awesome).
Why did the show suck?
Numerous factors, but mostly a lack of support. We pushed the show as a Greek affair and early impressions made it sound like we would have the support of the various fraternities and sororities at UCO, in addition to the fraternity sponsoring the show. That didn’t happen.  Greek life makes up several hundred people, our theater fits several hundred people. We assumed we had set an obtainable goal. I knew selling 500 tickets would be difficult, but I figured with the support of our fraternity, and pitching the show to all of the sororities on campus and getting the word out to the fraternities we could at least clear 300. Our group (aside from a few members) acted disinterested in the event, and the other groups had committed to building floats for homecoming.
Homecoming, I am told, is what really killed us. Campus had a huge carnival planned and most Greeks had to build various floats/not go to our event. We ended up selling around 70 tickets, and somehow even less than that showed up. I still maintain the audience got a decent show, especially for the money. But my performance was lacking, for numerous reasons. 
I could make a dozen excuses; fatigue, weird intro, small crowd, stress, weird interruptions, an empty stomach. But really it boils down to I didn’t prepare properly and booked a venue that I couldn’t fill and had too many comics doing too much time.
I have learned from all of this and will try again for a recording (in a smaller venue) sometime in the spring. Just for shits and giggles though I have included my favorite inturruption from the show!
Even though the event wasn’t as successful as it needed to be it wouldn’t have happened with out several people.
Stan Silliman
Spencer Hicks
Jack McKenzie
Zach Smith
Nathan Joyner
Samuel Calvin
Lance Gill
Frank D Evans
Justin and Katie Vaughn
Quintrell Coburn
Pat Harrel
Steven Everman
Tucker Max
UCO
Tiffany-Nicole Mayes
and everyone who bought a ticket

2 comments: